Your 3D Ultrasound Package includes
- 30 minute session
- CD containing all images
- 4 black & white pictures
Is this covered by OHIP or my insurance?
No. This elective procedure is not a medical ultrasound and it is not covered by OHIP or your insurance provider. Payment in full is due at the time the service is provided. We accept cash, debit, Visa and Mastercard.
3D Ultrasounds are performed by specially trained medical sonographers. They are not intended to replace necessary diagnostic ultrasounds and obstetric care. No attempts will be made to evaluate abnormalities and no fetal measurements will be taken. The images provided are solely for your enjoyment and educational purposes
Please call us during office hours:
Monday to Friday: 8am - 8pm
Saturdays: 8am - 5pm
What are the advantages of 3D ultrasounds?
- Provide a positive bonding experience with the unborn child.
- Make ultrasound images easier to understand.
- Provide amazing life-like pictures of the face and other fetal structures.
- Enhance visualization of fetal abnormalities.
- Provide an indication of the sex of the baby.
- Just as safe to mother and baby as conventional ultrasounds.
What are the prerequisites?
- You first need to have a conventional 2D diagnostic ultrasound at approximately 20 weeks during your pregnancy.
- You also must be currently receiving prenatal care.
- The ideal time to perform a 3D ultrasound is between 26-33 weeks. Your baby’s features are more defined at this time.
- Since this service is non-diagnostic and elective, you don’t need a doctor’s order
What should I expect?
- Since this is an elective procedure, your ultrasound scan will not be interpreted by a radiologist.
- We do not keep your images on file, and we do not generate a report for your medical records.
- No more than four visitors/guests will be allowed in the room during your procedure.
- You will receive a CD with all of the images captured during your scan... the first pictures of your baby.
- Keep in mind that it is not always possible to get “perfect images” or determine the gender of your baby.
- The results depend on many things: your body size, the age and position of the baby, and the amount of amniotic fluid around the fetus. We do our best to get images of whatever we can see during the scan.
- There is a maximum of 30 minutes for each 3D scan.
Can I bring family & friends?
Your loved ones are welcome to share this special moment of bonding as well. Later, you will be able to view the images on your personal CD in the privacy of your home. Room space limitations allow for 3 additional individuals.
Life-Like Fetal Ultrasound in the 3rd Dimension
Scarborough Women’s Medical Imaging Centre
We are proud to offer you the latest elective technology in obstetric ultrasound
Our professional and caring staff will make the experience memorable as you see your baby’s face for the first time.
If we are lucky, you may also see your baby’s movements and facial expressions such as smiling or yawning.
What is 3D Obstetric ultrasound?
3D Ultrasound technology is used to look at the surface of the face or other fetal structures which when surrounded by amniotic fluid, are given a life-like image.
Fetal scans are taken from different angles, revealing detailed images of the baby’s facial and body features. It also captures movements that the baby is making during the scan.
Are there any risks with 3D ultrasound?
There are no risks involved. 3D ultrasound utilizes sound waves to look inside the baby in the same way as ordinary 2D ultrasound.
How should I prepare?
You should drink an excess amount of water for a few days prior to your scan, so you are very well hydrated; this will help give a better image of the baby’s face, gender and other fetal structures.
Would you like to see amazing life-like images of your unborn baby?
Book an appointment today!