BMD (Bone Mineral Density)
- Measures the density of minerals in your bones using a special X-ray or computed tomography (CT) scans. Used to estimate strength of bones.
- Can detect osteoporosis and risk of bone fractures, which is most common in women above 65 and men over 70.
- During the procedure, you will lie flat on a table for several minutes white a small x-ray detector scans your spine, one hip or both. You only receive a very small amount of radiation, which is completely safe and painless.
- The National Institutes of Health recommend that the following people get this procedure:
- All women over the age of 65
- Women over the age of 60 who are at high risk for osteoporosis
- Men over the age of 70
- Individuals taking glucocorticoid medications (for autoimmune disorders) for 2 months or longer
- Remove jewelry that might interfere with the scan
- Inform technician of possible pregnancy