This non-invasive ultrasound scan (also called sonography) uses high-frequency sound waves (which are then converted to images) to give your doctor a look inside your heart without the use of radiation, and without surgery or other invasive procedure. The exam typically takes less than 1/2 hour and is available on short notice (usually within a few days).
There are many reasons why your doctor may want you to have an echocardiograph.
- Assess damage from previous heart attack (myocardial infarction).
- Heart murmur
- Hypertension (high blood pressure (to find causes of stress or reduction of blood flow)
- Suspected abnormality revealed by ECG (electrocardiogram)
- Leaking, insufficiency, or regurgitation of heart valves
- Irregular heartbeat
- Post-surgery (prosthetic valve insertion, repair, or replacement) follow-up inspection
- Identifying the cause of a stroke (shunts or emboli)
- A loss of consciousness that cannot be explained (syncope)
- Narrowing of the heart valves (mitral or aortic stenosis)
Please obtain a requisition from your doctor for an echocardiogram, and bring the form with you to your appointment at Midland-Ellesmere X-Ray and Ultrasound.